Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Inmar, Inc. and Ortho Dermatologics. I am working with the makers of DUOBRII in 2020. All opinions are mine alone. #TryDUOBRII #DUOBRII”
What is Plaque Psoriasis?
If you’re not familiar with plaque psoriasis, then that’s probably a good thing. For those of you who are, you know how difficult it can make everyday life. Plaque psoriasis is a condition in which skin cells build up and form scales and itchy, dry patches.
It is an auto-immune disease in which patients shed their skin too quickly, causing dead skin cells to pile up on the surface. Normal skin cell turnover usually takes about a month, but for patients with psoriasis the turnover can happen in only a few days. Triggers can include infections, stress and cold.
The Need for a Solution
Both my boyfriend and I suffer from it. He more than I, but we both have flare ups of dry, itchy skin from time to time. Living in a cold climate (hello New York City) doesn’t help, and neither does leading stressful lives (we’re both on Wall Street as a lawyer and engineer, respectively). It’s not such a big deal come winter, when we stay covered up in long sleeves and sweaters. But come summer time, with short sleeves and bikinis, it can be a real problem. What’s worse is on that precious winter vacation, we jet away from the cold white north to a sunny beach designation, only to have the cold dry air of the plane exacerbate our conditions, leaving us embarrassed and uncomfortable on the beach.
We’ve tried everything. From drug store creams, to over the counter lotions, to homeopathic remedies. Some creams seem to work at first, but they can be expensive and then appear to stop working after a time. It’s extremely disappointing. I knew we needed another solution. So when we heard of DUOBRII Lotion, from Ortho Dermatologics, we were excited to try another potential option.
Trying something new
DUOBRII Lotion is a prescription medicine used on the skin (topical) to treat adults with plaque psoriasis. DUOBRII Lotion is the first and only topical psoriasis lotion that contains both halobetasol propionate and tazarotene in one formula. DUOBRII Lotion is FDA approved. Sounds pretty good, right? I first became intrigued with DUOBRII Lotion by researching online and discovering the real results shown on the DUOBRII Lotion Webpage. For 8 weeks, patients applied DUOBRII Lotion to affected areas once a day.
The before and after photos pictured on their website represent actual clinical experience, without retouching of the photos. Although, individual results may vary, I was certainly impressed with the results. DUOBRII Lotion could be a game changer for us and we are excited to talk to our doctor about a prescription. What makes DUOBRII Lotion so effective is it’s made of two well-known ingredients that work together to treat plaque psoriasis, while each ingredient reduces the side effects of the other.
The strong anti-inflammatory agent (halobetasol propionate) works to clear plaques, while the retinoid tazarotene (a vitamin A derivative) helps extend the clearing process even after stopping treatment. What’s more, DUOBRII Lotion is a treatment that keeps on working even after you stop using it. Clear or almost clear skin is possible in less than 8 weeks. Some patients achieved clear or almost clear skin by 2, 4, or 6 weeks. Over 40% of patients had clear or almost clear skin at 8 weeks across 2 clinical studies.
In terms of cost, most eligible commercially insured patients pay as little as a $25 co-pay. For eligible patients whose commercial insurance does not cover DUOBRII Lotion, patients will pay as little as a $65 co-pay. Don’t wait, talk to your doctor today about DUOBRII Lotion.
What is DUOBRII® Lotion?
DUOBRII (halobetasol propionate and tazarotene) Lotion, 0.01%/0.045%, is a prescription medicine used on the skin (topical) to treat adults with plaque psoriasis. It is not known if DUOBRII Lotion is safe and effective in children.
Important Safety Information
● DUOBRII Lotion is for use on the skin only; do not use it in your mouth, eyes, or vagina. What is the most important Information I should know about DUOBRII Lotion?
DUOBRII Lotion may cause birth defects if used during pregnancy.
A negative pregnancy test must be obtained before females of child-bearing age start using DUOBRII Lotion and they must use effective birth control during treatment. Begin treatment during a normal menstrual period.
Stop using DUOBRII Lotion and tell your healthcare provider right away if you become pregnant while using DUOBRII Lotion.
Before you use DUOBRII Lotion, tell your healthcare provider if you:
● have eczema or any other skin problems, including skin infections, which may need to be treated before using DUOBRII.
● have diabetes, adrenal gland problems or liver problems.
● are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. If you use DUOBRII and breastfeed, do not apply DUOBRII to your nipple area.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
● Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take corticosteroids by mouth or injection or use other skin products that contain corticosteroids.
● Ask your healthcare provider for a list of medicines that may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight.
What should I avoid during treatment with DUOBRII?
● To avoid a severe sunburn, avoid sunlight, including sunlamps and tanning beds, as much as possible, and use sunscreen, protective clothing and a hat while in sunlight. Talk to your healthcare provider if you get sunburn, and do not use DUOBRII Lotion until your sunburn is healed.
● Avoid using DUOBRII on skin with eczema because it may cause severe irritation.
DUOBRII may cause side effects, including:
● If too much DUOBRII passes through your skin it can cause adrenal glands to stop working
● Cushing’s syndrome, a condition from too much exposure to the hormone cortisol
● High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
● Effects of growth and weight in children
● Skin irritation. If you get too much skin irritation at the site of application, your healthcare provider may tell you to interrupt or stop using DUOBRII or to use it less often.
● Vision problems, including an increased chance of developing cataracts and glaucoma. Tell your healthcare provider about any vision problems during treatment.
The most common side effects of DUOBRII Lotion include: redness, itching, swelling, burning, stinging, application site pain, inflamed hair follicles (folliculitis), thinning of the skin (atrophy), peeling and rash.
To report SUSPECTED ADVERSE REACTIONS, contact Ortho Dermatologics at 1-800-321-4576 or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or visit www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Please click here for full Prescribing Information, including Patient Information.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me, @lighttravelsfaster on behalf of Inmar, Inc. and Ortho Dermatologics.~Eileen Rhein, esq. from @lighttravelsfaster